Karen's Keepers

Karen's Keepers

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Speeches and Hubble

I don’t usually write a blog except at the beginning of the month as part of my personal history – so that someday I can go back and remember the events of my life and maybe write it out. But, I just thought I’d mention something in the middle of the month. I try to fast-walk on the treadmill several times a week. While I am doing this, I usually watch BYU devotionals. Today I watched one by Neal A. Maxwell from February 1990 entitled “The Children of Christ.” http://www.byub.org/talks/Talk.aspx?id=670 He is deceased now, but he was quite a scholar when he was alive. It is really good, and I would definitely recommend viewing it. He mentioned a few things about the universe, which reminded me of a documentary that Randy and I saw last week. It is entitled “Hubble” and we saw it in 3-D at the planetarium downtown. It tells of the Hubble telescope being launched into orbit around the earth, and of the repairs they had to conduct several times. Those parts were really interesting, but what I liked the best were the pictures that were shown that had been taken by the telescope. I was in awe of how beautiful everything is out in space and of the organization that exists out there. It reaffirmed to me that there is a grand design to all this and that there is Someone in charge. What a wonderful thing to think that someday long, long in the future, we might be able to actually take part in the creation of universes, solar systems, planets, and people. “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ”. Romans 8:16,17 Awesome in the true sense of the word.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your insights... things celestial always fill me with awe and I never tire of searching the skies. My astronomy group does a lot of Star Parties this time of year and I always strive to get the participants, mainly young people, to look beyond the "view" and try and grasp the order and organization. As you said, awesoma IS the word.

    ReplyDelete